Bonita Smoke Shop
Powered by MaxBlogPress

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Esteli

Thanks to General Cigar for sending me some samples to review. The Serie R Esteli was released in September, and is only available at brick and mortar stores. You can read more about it at their website.

Wrapper: Jalapa Sol

Binder & Filler: Nicaragua

Size: 6 x 54

Price: $6.49

Pre-Smoke & Construction:

The wrapper was dark, shiny, and flawless. It had a mild earthy and woody smell. The cigar was solidly packed, with a few soft spots here and there. The draw had the right amount of resistance, with a cedary pre-light flavor.

The ash held for just about an inch, and the burn required several corrections.

1 La_Gloria_Cubana_Serie_R_Esteli cigars

Flavor:

Without much delay, the first third opened up with woody and bitter sweet flavors. An easy pepper was noticed in the nose, and back of the throat. It had just the right amount of zing.

2 La_Gloria_Cubana_Serie_R_Esteli cigars

The second third took on a bitter sweet cocoa flavor, mixed with pepper and wood. From time to time, I swore that floral notes would appear, and quickly go away. As I approached the end of this third, the strength and body picked up, and coated the mouth and lips.

3 La_Gloria_Cubana_Serie_R_Esteli cigars

For the most part, the last third kept the same core flavors of bitter cocoa, pepper, and wood. There was an added peppery, cinnamony  tingle on the lips, and top of the mouth. The smoke feel took on a cooling effect. It was similar to menthol, but with a peppery zing.

4 La_Gloria_Cubana_Serie_R_Esteli cigars

Conclusion:

This was a good medium to full bodied cigar. I enjoyed the ramp up of flavor, body, and strength. Everything was balanced. I think the price point it spot on as well. For a good, reliable lunch or dinner smoke, this fits the bill.

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 at 12:00 am and is filed under Cigar Reviews. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “La Gloria Cubana Serie R Esteli”

Vulture October 16th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

@ 6.50/stick… I’ll be keeping an eye out for one (or two).

Micah October 16th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I smoked one of these the other night at our cigar club. Balanced is a good word to describe it. Enjoyed the company, and the smoke.

jjo October 16th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Just got one of these recently from a friend. I’m looking forward to lighting it up. General seems to be bringing out good new smokes at a fair price. I wish they offer a smaller ring gauge, though.

Vulture October 17th, 2013 at 9:42 am

eeww… didn’t notice the gauge. Not a fan of that, but… I’ll still give it a shot if I see one.

Tom October 17th, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Vulture – The price is right. A large ring gauge doesn’t both me as long as it’s a good smoke. I get it though, it’s just not comfortable for everyone.

Micah – I could see this going well in that situation too. A solid, reasonably priced smoke while hangin out.

JJO – General is easy to hate on, but they have some solid smokes. Like any other company, some blends are better than others. Large ring gauge is a popular thing these days. I like them if they taste good, and I am forced to do nothing for as long as possible.

jjo October 27th, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Tom – Tried the one Tony sent me, and I enjoyed it, although I got the impression that it could use a bit of humidor time to round out some rough edges. The burn was at times pretty jagged, but self-corrected, and the ash was pretty flaky, which was a bit of a PITA. It did have some nice citrusy sweetness that I liked. I would definitely smoke it again, although I still won’t be tempted to get anything larger than the 54, lol.

polda jatim October 17th, 2014 at 7:12 am

Hi there, yeah this paragraph is genuinely fastidious and
I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.
thanks.